Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Jan 18 Holy Moose Day!

Yahooo, yippeee, woooohoooo! We had a near sighting and close encounter with TWO bull moose today while snowshoeing in Mill Creek Canyon (next canyon north of Big Cottonwood Canyon). Almost wet my pants when I looked up and saw these behemoth guys venturing out onto the main trail from the side trail just 50 feet in front of us. Unbelievably they started duking it out butting antlers right there in the middle of the trail. My heart beat faster - yes - could be my opportunity to claim a rack if they knocked off some of those antlers!

Well, dearest husband started scrambling up the icy slope at the trail edge heading for cover in the trees while dear wife stood there taking pics. Then when I realized they had me dead on in their sight, I thought maybe I should head for the trees too - just perhaps this one time (chuckle) Mike had the right idea. Har, har, he slipped on the icy slope - splat, face down and slid right out onto the trail! OMG, if I only had a picture!! LOL. So, I suggested that we head to the other side of the trail where there was a small narrow foot bridge that just might collapse (wishful thinking) if the behemoths decided to actually chase us. Well, here are the photos. These dudes passed us as while we were on the other side of the foot bridge and of course my hands were so frozen by then that I took some awesome photos of - nothing!! So, the first photo will be Mike, not a moose in a red jacket, snow shoeing up the trail. The rest will be my attempt to point and shoot while scrambling for cover from the moose.



No comments:

Post a Comment